Fab Frugal Monday Meals – Raspberry Cacao Crunch Bliss Balls
Fabulously Frugal Meal Planning – Week #5 by Amira Khatib
With the help of our favorite dietitians and food bloggers, we’ve compiled the Fabulously Frugal Monday Meal series to bring you low-cost, budget-friendly meals that are packed full of flavor. Get on track with your healthy lifestyle this summer! Sign up here to try something new and tasty every week.
Planning your meals is key, but don’t forget to also plan your snacks! Thanks to Amira Khatib, this week we’re learning to make Raspberry Cacao Crunch Bliss Balls – they’re healthy and vegan, and both your sweet tooth and wallet will thank you!
Message from Amira:
These are tasty, filling and make the perfect breakfast on-the-go or snack. It is a healthy, easy vegan treat that feels luxurious.
Raspberry Cacao Crunch Bliss Balls Recipe (Makes 12):
- 1 tbsp freeze dried raspberries
- 2/3 cup of cashews
- 1/3 cup almonds
- 1 tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 tbsp cacao nibs
- 1 tsp vanilla bean powder
- Dash of salt
- 1/3 cup of pitted dates
- Add 1 tbsp freeze dried raspberries into the food processor and grind until it becomes a fine powder. Then remove the raspberry powder and spoon into a big bowl you will use later.
- Then add cashews, almonds, coconut, cacao nibs, vanilla bean powder, and salt to a food processor and pulse until it mixes together into a powder, but stop before it gets too fine. You want to keep the crunch. See the first photo.
- Then, add the pitted dates and pulse until it mixes together to look like the second food processor photo.
- Next, spoon out the date-nut mix and roll into individual balls with your hands.
- Lastly, dip each ball into the raspberry powder and set in the fridge for 1 hour to harden.
Makes 12 balls
- 1 tbsp freeze dried raspberries ($2.00 per T)
- 2/3 cup of cashews ($2.60 per 2/3 cup)
- 1/3 cup almonds ($1.13 per 1/3 cup)
- 1 tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut ($.15 per T)
- 1 tbsp cacao nibs ($.46 per T)
- 1 tsp vanilla bean powder ($.82 per t)
- Dash of salt
- 1/3 cup of pitted dates ($2.18 per 1/3 cup)
Total recipe cost (12 balls): $9.34
Cost per serving (serving size ~ 2-3 balls): $1.56 – $2.33
Amira is a native Iowan and lifelong vegan. She learned from her parents early on that the tastiest, most nutritious (and cheapest!) meals are made at home from scratch — which inspired her to great creative in the kitchen as an adult. Upon graduation from Iowa State, Amira moved to New York City to pursue a career in marketing and communications.
After serving as the volunteer PR Manager for the Plant-Based Bushwick Food Festival in May 2016, Amira wanted to use her skills as a marketing and PR professional to give back to her home state. Growing up vegan in Iowa, Amira understands the challenges of having limited access to healthy food and resources. This fueled her efforts to foster a wellness community both online and offline, through her @aveganheart Instagram account as well as the upcoming Iowa Vegfest this fall.
« Frugal Fitness Series – Arm & Core HIIT Circuit Cultivating a Growth Money Mindset »