Make Your Dreams Fabulously Frugal with these 5 Steps
I have the travel bug. I day dream about far away (and nearby) places, drool over friends’ travel photos and create itineraries for fictitious trips. While this might sound like an expensive bug, pairing travel with being fabulously frugal means more travel for less cost. Why take one trip when you can take two equally fabulous trips for the same amount of money?
Many of the things we dream about are pretty darn pricey. The pricier the dream, the longer it will take for us to save up to pay for it. Getting creative affords us the opportunity to live our dreams faster. That doesn’t mean the dream is any less fabulous, it just means we figured out a way to get it cheaper.
So how do you do it?
- Start with the dream. List out some of the things you dream about. One of my dreams is to live in another country each year.
- Then, get to the bottom of why it’s important. I want to explore the world and learn about different cultures. I had never traveled longer than a couple of weeks before our honeymoon. There was something so magical about stepping out of your day-to-day and immersing yourself in another way of living. I came back inspired and motivated.
- Now it’s time to get creative. You want to honor what’s most important about your dream and let go of what’s not important so that you can bring down the cost. Living in another country for a month each year would honor what’s most important about my dream. There are sites that do house swaps where someone comes to live in your home while you live in theirs. If you are able to find a good match, this actually erases the entire cost of hotels. You continue paying your rent or mortgage while you’re away. The only additional cost would be the flight to your new home. Not bad!
- Test it out. Once you have a list of creative solutions, test them out. Think them through and see which one gets you the most excited. Does a solution like this exist? For me, I’d want to do some research into how realistic it is to do a house swap. Would I feel comfortable? How does it work?
- Share it. Sharing the dream with those in your life is really important. First, you will want to get those who are part of the dream to buy in. When I first shared my travel dream with Justin, I could see his blood pressure rise. He said, “wow, that’s an expensive dream!” Once he heard me out, he realized that the only additional cost would be the flight and maybe some vacation time on his end. Now he’s on board! Sharing your dream also puts it out there. You are enlisting a team of friends and family to support you and hold you accountable for making your dream come true.
That’s all there is to making your dreams fabulously frugal so that you can live them sooner! Dream, create and share. I’d love to hear what you are dreaming about. Send me an email or comment below. I’m here to help make your dreams come true!
« 5 Ways to Invest in Yourself in 2016 – the Fiscal Femme Need a Resolution? Put Yourself on a Money Cleanse »